Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Best game music ever

Sorry about no article yesterday. 'Twas Labour Day, and I didn't feel like thinking. But today is back to normal, so here we are.



Hum a few bars of the original Super Mario Bros. theme in a public place, and I guarantee almost everybody around you will know exactly where that song is from. Perhaps the only thing about gaming more mainstream than the games themselves is the music that accompanies each title. From the days of the Nintendo Entertainment System right up to this moment, games have been featuring some of the greatest music I've ever heard. Here are a few games who's music I consider to be the cream of the crop.

Super Mario Bros. 3

In my opinion, Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of the greatest video games ever made. And what better way to amplify the greatness of a title than with an amazing soundtrack? Back in the days in which this game was released, the music was usually little more than an afterthought. But Nintendo went the extra mile to make each and every part of this game memorable, down to the oft-ignored musical score.

Some notable tunes: Grassland, Hammer Bros. and Underwater music

We Love Katamari

Not to be outdone by the wacky gameplay, the music in We Love Katamari is just as insane. Crazy upbeat J-Pop and freaky Japanese rock are all throughout this title, and all of which are amazing. The music in this game is insanely memorable, and is overrunning my MP3 player as we speak. Just can't get enough of this crazy Katamari!

Some notable tunes: Katamari on the Swing, Everlasting Love and Sasasan Katamari

Animal Crossing/Wild World

How could I write a list like this and exclude a game such as Animal Crossing? A major part of both Animal Crossing games is collecting all of K.K Slider's music bootlegs. Not only is collecting them fun, but the music is great! Sure, meeting up with K.K every Saturday may feel like a chore sometimes, but it's all more than worth it in the end.

Some notable tunes: Surfin' K.K, K.K Western and Totakeke's Song

Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney

Phoenix Wright may not excel in visuals, but it sure as heck sounds amazing! From investigation to interrogation, the music always fits the situation perfectly. And not only is the music fitting, it's great to listen to as well! I only wish there was a sound test of sorts available so I could listen to all my favorite tracks as long as I wish... Oh well, I suppose earning the music makes it all the sweeter!

Some notable tunes: Tense Situation, Steel Samurai and victory music

Final Fantasy VII

Like Super Mario Bros. 3, Final Fantasy VII is one of my favorite games ever made. And also like Super Mario Bros. 3, Final Fantasy VII has some of the greatest music I've ever heard as well. Three discs of adventure add up to one lengthy soundtrack, and a great one at that. Perhaps one day Square-Enix will surprise us with a remake of this decade-old gem. Until then, I've got the music to keep me busy!

Some notable tunes: Motorcycle Chase, Shinra's Theme and Hurrying Music

So then, those are a few games that are just music to my ears! Although words cannot do justice to these awesome songs. Go and play the games for yourself, and then you'll hear them in all their glory!

The Duck Has Spoken.

2 comments:

LipeCau said...

Where is Ocarina of Time?

Anonymous said...

chrono cross is the best