Monday, March 24, 2008

Poll #32: "Are you a 'snaker'?" results, banner, poll, minor opinion rant

"Yes" 3 (8%)
"Only against other snakers" 6 (17%)
"Sometimes" 4 (11%)
"No, I don't snake" 17 (50%)
"What's a 'snaker'?" 4 (11%)

I realized on Wednesday I should have added an "I don't play Mario Kart" option, but it was too late by then. Oh well, live and learn.

So, about that there banner. I find it really sad that so many games go unnoticed, forgotten and ignored. I feel the three in the banner perfectly express this. On the left, we have Zack from Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure, a great game released last year that went criminally unnoticed by the general public. In the middle is the cyborg character from the long-since shelved Project H.A.M.M.E.R. The game was sadly forgotten and pushed aside by Nintendo, and I doubt we'll see it ever again. And finally there's Ray from Disaster: Day of Crisis. Disaster is a game that, despite having an amazing concept and design, will likely go ignored by the general public. It's sad to see such an amazing game be treated like this by the consumer, and I fear Disaster is headed for the same fate. I support these unnoticed, forgotten and ignored games, and I hope against all odds that they meet a bright future, whether it be in the form of a sequel, miraculous revival, or a surprising sleeper hit.



And for this week's poll, we have the following: "Can Sonic Unleashed buck the trend of bad 3D Sonic games?". Personally, I believe it can and will. But I thought the same of the 360 and PS3 game, and we all know how that turned out.

While we're on the subject of Sonic Unleashed, I have a few things I'd like to say. Many people think that it will not happen on the Wii due to it's amazing graphics, or that the Wii version will look significantly worse than the PS3 and XBox 360 games. Well, I think that the Wii version will look nearly as good. It may not look exactly as crisp as the 360 and PS3 versions. In fact, I know it won't, because the Wii isn't a high definition machine. But despite what many think, that doesn't make the Wii instantly a billion times weaker than the other consoles.

To prove my point, I ask that people look at Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. See those graphics? See those vast, sweeping vistas and throngs of enemies and allies? Now look at Sonic Unleashed. Does it really look that much better? It may be smoother, but slap some motion blur on Galaxy or Corruption, and it's basically the same thing.

I believe that SEGA wants dearly to buck the trend of bad 3D Sonic games, and I'm fairly sure they'll try to tackle the sloppy Wii port trend as well. But then again, you can't be sure with corporations like SEGA. What I am sure of is that Sonic Unleashed could look almost exactly as good on the Wii as it would on any other console. Whether or not SEGA makes it that good is out of my hands.

The Duck Has Spoken.

No comments: