Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Mini-Article: There's no reason to be ashamed of liking Pokémon

Okay, I can do a little something short tonight... Really short, though. This is just something I felt should be said is all.



I've heard a lot of people say that they were "ashamed" or "embarrassed" to show up at the recent Toys 'R' Us event to get their free Darkrai for Pokémon Diamond/Pearl. So what if you're a 21 year-old man standing in a crowd of pre-pubescent Poké-fans? If you like Pokémon, you like Pokémon, and that's that. It's a solid RPG with numerous hidden values and loads of strategy. Any kid can enjoy Pokémon, but it takes a well-developed mind to truly understand and master the game.

So yeah, the game's rated E and stars a ten year-old. So? Animal Crossing's the same, isn't it? And how about Earthbound?

So a large part of its audience is made up of grade-schoolers. Aren't Mario, Zelda and so many other franchises in the same situation?

The fact is, Pokémon debuted in 1995 (1998 in North America). People who were kids then have every right to continue enjoying the game to this day, and they have no reason to shy away from admitting it. I'm a 17 year-old male, I play Pokémon, and I'm damn well proud of it. I've been playing it since I was 7, and I'm not going to stop any time soon. Every other Pokémon fan out there, no matter their age, sex or whatever, should feel the same. Do your friends not think it's right to play Pokémon at your age? Well, as far as I'm concerned, it's their loss. It's a great series of games, and everyone has the right to play and enjoy it openly.

Next time there's a "download this Pokémon at Toys 'R' Us" event, go right in there and start up Mystery Gift. If someone gives you a weird look, good for them. You're having fun, and that's all that matters.

Discuss this article on the forums

The Duck Has Spoken.