Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A proposition for Rockstar


I've been playing some Grand Theft Auto on the Playstation 2 a bit lately, and as I glanced next to the TV to see the Wii sitting there, it dawned on me; Why doesn't Rockstar make a Wii port of these games? Seriously, it would be money in the bank! I've heard many, many people asking "Why no Grand Theft Auto on the Wii, Rockstar?" and "It's on the DS, why not the Wii?" as of late. The people want Grand Theft Auto on the Wii, but the question is, would it sell? That question could easily be answered by porting Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy to the Wii.

The great thing is, Rockstar would hardly have to do anything! Just map all the controls to the Wii remote, cram all those games onto a dual-layer DVD, and voila! This package could easily prove to contain the definitive Grand Theft Auto III/Vice City/San Andreas experiences, causing many franchise fans to take a fresh look at their favourite classics. Also, it could prove to be an excellent entry point for those who've wanted to get into Grand Theft Auto in the past, but never did. Most importantly, it would show just how much of a demand there is for Grand Theft Auto on the Wii. Who knows, maybe there's more Wii owners interested in that sort of thing than we thought?

So really, there's almost nothing to lose here, and everything to gain. If this were to take off on the Wii, the Nintendo faithful could get their own, exclusive Grand Theft Auto experiences alongside the main series. I say "alongside" because, after all, the grand scope of Grand Theft Auto IV is just too huge to be doable on the Wii.
Any Wii port would be seriously gimped and missing tonnes of what makes Grand Theft Auto IV so... "Grand". It would be more like "Somewhat Pathetic Theft Auto IV" than anything else*.

Nintendo fans get their own Grand Theft Auto games, Rockstar gets more money, and everyone's happy. That's all there is to it!

What do you guys think of this proposition? Does it sound like a great move to make, or are you thinking that maybe this isn't such a good idea? Let your thoughts be heard in the comment section or this forum thread. Or both! Just go nuts if you want to, I won't tell anyone.

*It's lines like these that tell me I'm too tired to be writing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering why GTA wasn't on the wii, then I thought, Well a bunch of games that appeal to more adult gamers are on PS and X-box.. and that the Wii is "generally" for family and kids... which if you ask me is a little bogus. I would love to play the newest GTA but I only have a Wii and can't afford PS3 or X-box. I mean if they can put Conker's Bad Fur Day on N64 why not GTA?