Thursday, May 1, 2008

Gaming Oddities 3: How many more will I have to write?

Hey, folks. Gotta make it short and sweet tonight. So here's another gaming oddities! (The entire list of oddity articles can be found here)

Gaming has been around for decades, and the bizarre anomalies associated with it have been around just as long. I've already exposed fifteen of these oddities, and now to point out even more.

I guess Mario has invisible rudders.

Ever jump in a video game, second-guess yourself, and slam the analog stick backwards to turn around? I think it's happened to all of us. But... How the hell does this work? Last I checked, it was physically impossible for someone to change their trajectory in mid-air in such a manner. No, Mario isn't holding an invisible jetpack, and Sonic the Hedgehog doesn't have command over the laws of physics. Yet for some reason, they can manipulate their speed and direction in mid-air. Perhaps game characters are just magical like that.

Perhaps you can take it with you when you die...

I noticed this one a few weeks ago while playing Godfather. I was walking through a back alley and stumbled across a black market merchant. His price was a little steep for me, so I left. Then, he dies in a bizarre accident (It was an accident, I swear! My finger slipped!), dropping nothing on the ground. The weapon he was going to sell to me seems to have passed on as well.

On the other side of things, buying stuff from a guy then killing him never yields the money you just payed him. Are there heavenly bank accounts now? I should invest in that. And this isn't just restricted to The Godfather. Go kill the merchant in Resident Evil 4 and check out all the goodies he doesn't drop for you. Bugger.

"Well, she's dead. Nope, Phoenix Down won't help at all. Let's go."

Ever notice that when an RPG character dies outside of battle, your Revives and Phoenix Downs strangely cannot bring them back to life? But if they incurred their fatal injury in a non-scripted fight, it works just fine? Noticing a problem here?

The most famous example of this has to be Aeris' death in Final Fantasy VII. Sephiroth flies in out of nowhere and stabs her through the abdomen, she falls, end of story. But Phoenix Downs? Nope, can't use 'em. Funny, because I could have sworn I revived her a good fifty times previously. I guess the storyline can get in the way of thinking normally sometimes.

"Oh, don't worry, it's much more spacious inside!"

That must be a popular line with real estate agents in the Pokémon universe. After all, every building in the Pokémon games is far bigger inside than out. Take a look:



The building that once took up a few tiles on the screen now needs to be scrolled through in order for everything to be seen! Heck, the sprite for the lab's outside would fit in the inside map multiple times! You'd almost think that each building was actually a disguised entrance to a subterranean cavity much larger than the entryway above. Hmm... Come to think of it, Professor Oak has been looking awful pale lately...

So then, that's four more oddities out in the open. You really don't realize how many of these there are until you go looking for them! So then, I guess you can talk about this in the comment section, or in this forum thread. I, on the other hand, need to get some sleep. See ya'll on Friday!

The Duck Has Spoken.

No comments: